Did you ever use an antiaircraft gun sight that, when you looked through it, produced a bullseye series of concentric rainbow-like rings? If you did, author Larry Hughes would very much appreciate your contacting him concerning a book he is writing on the gunsight and the people who used it.

Click below for more details!

Click here for More Details on the Rainbow


Check your local library for these books:

0-8317-2158-8 Gallery Books.W.H.Smith Publishers 112 Madison Ave. New York,

WARPATH ACROSS THE PACIFIC International Research and Publishing.- P.O.Box
3334, High Mar Station Boulder, CO 8O3O7 ISBN O 913511 O2 1 Library Of
Congress # 89 084113 by Lawrence J.Hickey

U-BOAT OPERATIONS of the Second World War by Kenneth Wynn (Vols. 1 and 2)

BLOOD and BUSHIDO by Bernard Edwards  (1991) ISBN 1-883283-18-3 Brick Towers
Press 1230 Park Ave N.Y., N.Y. 10128 1-800-68-BRICK bricktower@aol.com

AMERICAN MARINER by Herbert P Hahn ISBN 1-879180-00-6 American Merchant Marine
Museum Foundation Kings Point, New York

TWO YEARS BEHIND THE MAST by the late Harold J.McCormick  LtCmdr-USNR(Ret) Sun
Flower University Press.ISBN 0-89745-138-4   (OOP)

THE VOYAGE OF THE S.S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN (1994) back to Normandy 50th Anniv. by
Colman Schneider.

FORGOTTEN TRAGEDY (The sinking of the HMT ROHNA) by Carlton Jackson. ISBN

A WINNING TEAM by the late Bob Galati (OOP)

These 4 books by Daniel V. Gallery may be out of print. 01. NOW HEAR THIS 02.
CLEAR THE DECKS 03. STAND BY-Y-Y TO START ENGINES 04. U-505 (captured and now
in Jackson Park, Lake Michigan)

THE BOAT by Lothar-Gunther Buchheim ISBN 0-440-20063-6

THE MEN-THE SHIP by Chester J.Szymczak Sinking of the Dorchester, Library of
Congress Catalog Card Number 76-11392  (672 men died-14 were Armed Guard)

A NORTHERN SAGA by Steven C. Lawrence ISBN 1-55504-181-7 & ISBN

Four Volumes of "THE FORGOTTON  WAR STORIES by Stan Cohen. Gives history of 
World War II in Alaska and  Northwestern Canada. @ $16.95 each plus $4.00 postage.
($.50 for each additional book ordered at same time) ISBN numbers: O-933126-13-1;
O-933126-7O-O; O929521-3O-7 AND ISBN O-929521-64-1. Phone order 4O6-549-8488
Make checks out to: Pictorial Histories Publishing Co. Inc., 713 S. 3rd St. W.,
Missoula, MT 59801 


Editions printed. Company out of business, too.

Vol. I  ISBN 0-9618717-0-9  Vol. II ISBN 9618717-1-7  Vol. III ISBN
O-9618717-3-3 Taylor Publishing Co out of business and books out of print.  


THE MARSHES OF GLYNN WORLD WAR II (1999) by Thora Olsen Kimsey and Sonja
Olsen Kinard. Looking Glass Books, 73O Sycamore St., Decatur, GA 30030

The picture below is of Sydney R Parker. He served around New Caledonia.
He is known to be deceased.


Sent to:

USN Armed Guard WWII Veterans
Charles A. Lloyd, Chairman
115 Wall Creek Drive
Rolesville, NC  27571

From: Simon Cusens
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003
Subject: Crossed the Bar- Arthur 'Ginger' Jones, MV BRISBANE STAR

Dear Veterans and Friends

The following sad message received today from Ginger's grandaughter:

Unfortunately Grandpa died on Saturday (23rd August 03) at 6.45pm. I was
with him as was my Nan, my Dad, my Aunt and my sister. He went very peacefully
with no pain and is now with our Lord.

He will be cremated at St. Matthews in Buckley, North Wales, on Monday 1st
Sept and then buried on Wed 3rd Sept. We are going to have a celebration
service of his life so we would ask the Maltese people to do the same in
remembering him.

Thank you for all your prayers.

Arthur was in the front for those of you in possession of the group photo
taken in Valletta. He is sitting in a wheelchair to the right of my other 
beloved friend, the late Desmond Dickens.

"Ginger" may be remembered by some for his infectious smile and jovial,
almost boyish personality nothwithstanding his obvious health restrictions.
He gave a short interview to the BBC in Malta which is still running. Listen
and look at "Ginger" by clicking below, then clicking on the Heading "Open
in new Window: Remembering Malta", then clicking on number '5' beneath the

"Ginger" may then be seen in the foreground (with Edwin Armitage in the
smaller picture).


Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord, and may Valletta's Son rest in peace
forever and ever

Malta shall remember how he, together with his ship, helped save the
besieged Island from starvation in 1942, when a badly hit BRISBANE STAR
struggled into Grand Harbour.

If the Lord greets him into the Kingdom of Heaven the way the Maltese did in
August of 1942, that would truly be a grand welcome for a humble and
unpretentious sailor as was our beloved 'Ginger'.

To his family and folks, my sincere condolences

Simon Cusens

Subject: Adrian Warburton RAF

Dear Veterans and Friends

This is to inform you that I have been unsuccessful in convincing RAF
Innsworth to go ahead with burying the remains of World War II recce 
pilot Adrian Warburton here in Malta, which remains were recently 
discovered in southern Germany, where he went missing on April 12, 1944.

Wing Commander Warburton served in Malta throughout the siege between
1941-1943 after which he was posted elsewhere to assist in the Allies's war
effort as the action by then had homed in onto Nazi Germany. Considering
that the average lifespan of an RAF Malta pilot in 1942 was six weeks from
arrival, Warburton survived and persevered against all odds.

Some would call his fatalistic attitude to his 'work' and sheer carelessness
about his life as utter madness whilst others draw reference to it as
bravery most supreme.

But perhaps 'Warby' was best immortalised by the late Tony Spooner's book,
"Warburton's War."

Having located the owner of his plane's wreckage, I am now making a case to
have part of that wreckage brought back to Malta to be encapsulated in some
kind of memorial tribute to the most valuable RAF pilot of all time, in
the words of Air Marshall Tedder.

Sadly, his contributions and exploits in Malta for which he won all of his
decorations seems to be eclipsed or sidelined by UK media which media seem
to prefer to make more generic references to his lesser significant
contributions later on in the war and after he left Malta.

After having read about Warby, I concluded that if, for arguement's sake,
and with an objectivity free of any emotion or bias, one had to choose one
single person alone from all of the three Services during World War II whose
collective exploits and endevours proved most debilitating,  impacting and
damaging to the Axis' campaign in North Africa and to the defence of
Southern Italy, then it could only be:

Wing Commander Adrian Warburton RAF, DSO and Bar, DFC and two Bars, DFC

May he be laid to rest and may his memory continue to inspire.

Gone but never forgotten by my friends John Agius MBE, John Mizzi and
other grateful people of Malta.

We will continue to tell Malta of him.

His picture is just below.

Simon Cusens

                         Recollections of Ex-Seamen

Kent Sanborn:

I was a member of the crew of SS THOMAS NELSON from February 17, 1944, to 
January 29, 1945.  The NELSON was a Liberty ship in the U.S. Merchant Marine and
was operated for the government by a division of the W.R. Grace Company. She
was hull number 30 of some 2750 Libertys built during the early part of
World War II, and was unusual in that she was all riveted rather than welded
like most later ships of that design. Her port of registry was Baltimore but
she was operating in the Pacific in 1944. We sailed out of San Francisco with
a cargo of mixed supplies destined for use by army units in New Guinea. After 
a thirty-day crossing we made our first stop in Milne Bay. The next several 
months were spent ferrying supplies and equipment along the New Guinea coast 
all the way from Port Moresby to Biak and nearly every place between.

In October of that year we loaded some of the troops and equipment of the Army
Air Force's 345th Bomb Group at Biak and proceeded to Hollandia, New Guinea. 
There we joined a convoy that was scheduled to be part of the Philippine
Island invasion force. That trip into Leyte Gulf turned out to be the last
shuttle for the NELSON that year due to damage sustained in a kamikaze attack
while at anchor near the town of Dulag on the island of Leyte.

My recollection is that the harbor at Hollandia was pretty well filled with
ships. Some were Navy fighting vessels but most were merchant ships like
ours. I remember the night before our departure as being very dark. We
watched masthead lights on the warships flash rapidly for a couple of hours
as signalmen talked with each other in a steady stream of coded messages. 
Sometime after midnight I stood on our flying bridge with the ship's Second
Mate and watched as the Navy pulled out, ghosting past us almost without a
sound. I remember wondering at the time how it was possible to go through all
the commotion of hoisting anchors on several large ships and stowing them
away in nearly total silence. By dawn they were gone.

The trip to Leyte was slow.  All trips on Liberty ships were slow. For THOMAS 
NELSON, ten knots was a pretty normal speed when she was traveling alone.
Convoys  were usually a bit slower than the slowest ships. Without knowing, 
I imagine the same was true of formation flying where maintaining position 
and maneuvering requirements might limit the flexibility a pilot has when he's 
alone. I don't remember how many days it took us to get there but the trip was 
uneventful. Some might even characterize it as boring with pleasant weather, 
bright skies, a gentle rolling motion and time spent lolling against the rail 
watching the flying fish do their thing.

When we arrived in Leyte Gulf on October 29, 1944, some of the convoy 
anchored near Dulag.  I don't remember whether all did or not, but we did, and
so did SS MORRISON R. WAITE on which some other 345th people had made the
trip. For reasons I don't know about, the Army wasn't ready to accommodate
the 345th on shore immediately. One story I remember hearing was that the
airstrip wasn't ready to accept their airplanes. Maybe someone else can shed
more light on that. For whatever reason, they stayed on the two ships for
several days. During that time we knew there were air raids around because
we could see and hear the anti-aircraft artillery, but none of it seemed
particularly threatening to me.  The targets seemed to be on the beach a
little north of our location, closer to the town of Tacloban. In those days
I was barely eighteen years old and, like Alfred E. Newman of "Mad" magazine
fame, subscribed to the philosophy "What? Me worry?" I was too ignorant to
be frightened. All of that changed abruptly at lunch time on November 12,

I was standing in the starboard companionway of the main deck house, just
inside the forward doorway onto the main deck, when a fierce explosion
knocked me to my knees. One of the ship's cooks was there with me and both
of us needed several seconds to recover from our initial shock. When we went
outside to see what had happened, we looked first toward the foredeck, which
was nearest to where we stood. We couldn't see anything there that would
account for the explosion so we ran aft along the outside companionway. As
soon as we cleared the end of the deck house, we stood near the head of the
temporary ladder into the number four hold where many of the 345th people were
quartered. From there we could see a major fire in the aft end of the ship. 
I recall that the worst of the fire was on the port side and a little aft of
the mast between the fourth and fifth holds. I also recall the feeling of
alarm that struck me when I realized I couldn't see the after deck house
where our Navy gun crew people were quartered and where there were magazines
full of ammunition for a four-inch surface gun and two twenty millimeter
machine guns. There was absolute pandemonium for a few minutes, but at the 
time it seemed like hours.

When I finally got my wits about me I went to a nearby fire hose location. 
There were already people there trying to get the hose, which had been
damaged, into service, so I went up the ladder onto the boat deck to get
another hose. With help from somebody nearby the hose was pulled out, but
when the valve was opened we found that the hydrant had been destroyed by
shrapnel. It was quickly decided that any useful hoses had to be fed from
hydrants inside or forward of the deck house. Several people got that done
after what seemed like an eternity. I have no idea how long it took to get
water on the fire. It was probably not more than ten minutes or so, but that
ten minutes seemed like forever. After the fire had been knocked down I went
aft to my battle station in the four-inch gun tub and spent the rest of the
afternoon unloading magazines and throwing overheated ammunition overboard.

As we moved around the deck that day, we could see a lot of people who had 
been killed or very seriously wounded. We could also see people in the water
alongside the ship. Some may have been blown overboard. Others, including a
gunners mate from our Navy gun crew, probably jumped to escape the fire. 
Sometime during the early afternoon we began to see small boats coming out
from the beach in an effort to help. In Tom Brokaw's book, "The Greatest
Generation," he tells about one of those people, John Assenzio, who was
awarded the Bronze Star for his lifesaving efforts.

Eventually I looked around the anchorage at the other ships and saw that the 
MORRISON R. WAITE had also been hit. It appeared to me that the damage to that
ship was worse than what we had on the NELSON. The airplane that hit us
appeared to have struck the rigging near the masthead aft of the main deck
house. Most of the airplane went into the water and the fire with which we
had to deal was burning fuel from his ruptured tanks. On the WAITE it
appeared the airplane had hit the side of the ship below the rail and just
aft of the starboard anchor hawspipe, opening a large triangular hole into the
number one hold. However, we were anchored some distance apart so that
impression may not be accurate. In any event, both ships sustained
significant damage and the human loss was indescribable. I had never seen
mayhem like that. It was unnerving and ugly. The memory still brings tears
to my eyes and I know it will be with me for the rest of my life.

I never heard how many of the 345th were lost that day. Of our crew, two of
the fourteen-man Navy gun crew were killed and two were taken ashore wounded.
I never saw them again. Probably because it was lunch time and people were
inside the deck house preparing to eat when the plane exploded, none of the
35 merchant seamen were killed. Only two had relatively minor wounds. After
the raid the Army moved quickly to get their people ashore. I think all of
them had gotten off our ship by nightfall that day. Following that, the
supplies and equipment were unloaded with priority given to things needed
most as determined by the Army's port commander. It took two or three days to
get most of it ashore. In our lower holds we had bombs that were not high
on anyone's want list, so we sat there for a few more days. Eventually we
moved the ship closer to Tacloban where we waited again for someone to take
those bombs. It was probably about a week after we dropped anchor at
Tacloban that we joined a southbound convoy.

It seems to me that Mother Nature has a wonderful way of softening the effect
of catastrophic events for us. I'm glad because it would be hard to go on
sometimes if that didn't happen. I'll never forget that day in Leyte Gulf. 
But more importantly I'll always remember the time I had with the 345th after 
we left New Guinea and before we met with disaster. I met some fine people 
and have felt a strong affinity with them ever since.

Kent Sanborn       June, 1999

Billie Bachelor: I would like to add some eyewitness reflections to Kent Sanborn's. My Navy service went a lot like his. I went through boot at Farragut, Idaho, Gunnery School at Treasure Island and Half Moon Bay in California. We then picked up a new Victory ship (JOLIET VICTORY) in Portland, Oregon. After a shake-down cruise to Pearl Harbor, we loaded her with equipment for the 8th and 105th SeaBees, plus drummed aviation gasoline at Seattle, Washington. We then went by convoy to New Guinea. After making some port valls we joined a large convoy at Hollandia, New Guinea, headed for the Leyte Gulf. When we anchored off Dulag, there were so many ships that the harbor was full! We were a few hundred yards from the two ships mentioned in Kent's account. As I recall, it was a few days before the kamikaze planes started to come in, just as we had started to unload the drummed gasoline on DUK 5s. The first three or four Jap planes came in on strafing runs first, then crashed into the sea or near the sides of ships. When the troop ships were hit, there were two kamikazies being chased by two P-38s, that crashed into the sea. The next two Jap planes jumped over the mountains, heading straight for the troop ships. We were shooting all we had toward them but missed. The first plane hit the rigging and crashed aft on the far troop ship, the second plane went straight into the bridge of the one nearest us. Both ships had major fires but the lead ship was completely engulfed, the survivors were jumping from the side, climbing down the anchor chain, or throwing lines over the side. The other ship had gotten the fire under control. That evening, after dark, we pulled up the hook and moved farther out in the harbor with several other ships - the burning ship was making too much light. The next day we moved back in and started to unload again. Every so often more kamikazies came, however none as accurate as the two that hit the troop ships. After all this, we finally got rid of the aviation gasoline and plane parts and moved to Tacloban and unloaded the SeaBee equipment, and joined a convoy headed south. Billie G. Bachelor GM3C USNR

From: Howard Morseburg
Subject: Purple Hearts for Merchant Marine.


I have added a page to my website calling for the awarding of the Purple Heart
for the men of the merchant marine who were killed during World War II (almost
9,500 of them), as well as those who were wounded (almost 12,000) in action.

My Website: www.howardsviews.com has an added page, Purple Heart for MM, 
right after my page on an incident in convoy: Bright Red was the Night.

Please check it out, and if you think it is a good idea and give me a link
to your material, it would be appreciated.

The Congressman I have discussed the sponsoring of this legislation has a
local office and is:

Congressman Elton Gallegly
485 Alisal Road Ste. G-1A
Solvang, CA 93463

I recommend this address when writing because his local Legislative
Assistant is here three times and week and I can better keep track of

I am attempting to make contact with a U.S. Senator to co-sponsor the

The families of these men deserve no less than this recognition from their
government. Even their children are now in old age, but it is still a
well deserved recognition for their sacrifices for their country.

Remember, those wounded and incapacitated received no government benefits!
They received no paid leave, and no compensation. If their ship was lost
to enemy action, their pay stopped, no matter where they were around the
globe. There were many inequities.

Our time is running out, but as long as there is breath in your body, you
can still fight for what is right.

Please forward this on to other members of your organization.

Thank you,
Howard E. Morseburg

Click Here to go to Howard Morseburg's site

SS LUCIUS Q C LAMAR made a trip to Basra, Iraq, via Panama Canal, Australia, and then back to New York. Pictured relaxing in New York below are left to right, Alvin Buford Luedtke, Earl Emerson Gregory, Dorris Malcolm Lampkins, Robert Leslie Richardson and William Francis O'Connor. Click the picture for the Earl E Gregory Honor page.

Click picture for Honor Page of Earl Gregory

Pictured below is the front side of an anti-aircraft range finder 
used by the World War II Navy Armed Guard.


Pictured below is the reverse side of the anti aircraft range finder.


Pictured below are two pictures of my good friend, Bill Nicholas.



Buy the book below, written by a member of our Armed Guard Veterans Association

Click on the picture of Pat D Ward below to read the account of the SS HENRY BERGH.

Click graphic for SS Henry Bergh Story

Click the picture below for a story on World War II Japanese atrocities.

Click picture for story on Jap Atrocities

Click Here to return to the main page